Thursday, July 3, 2014

5/19/2013 My Study of Communication


My Study of Communication

My motivation for studying communications is simple. I enjoy it. It is a subject that I find interesting at every layer. I believe that understanding communication allows me the opportunity to avoid conflict in my personal life. In circumstance where conflict cannot be avoided, communication allows me to address the conflict in a more efficient and effective manner. Given the definitions of communications that I could choose from, I believe that definition number three best suits my personal perspective of communications. “Communication…is and effort after meaning, a creative act initiated by man in which he seeks to discriminate and organize cues so as to orient himself in his environment and satisfy his changing needs.”  I think the key part of this definition that I agree with the most is “…to orient himself in his environment and satisfy his changing needs.” As we evolve and our situations change we have to be able to communicate our needs and wants so that they are understood by those involved in our current circumstance. I think that definition number three best sums that up.

 

References

Trenholm, S. (2011). Thinking Through Communication: An Introduction to the Study of Human Communication. Retrieved from:

No comments:

Post a Comment