Thursday, July 3, 2014

9/3/2013 Email Etiquette

Email Etiquette

            The article offers advice on maintaining professionalism within the medium of email communications. The seven tips for success were mind your manners, watch your tone, be concise, be professional, use correct spelling and grammar, ask before sending an attachment and wait to fill out the “To” line. All of these suggestions can be applied to email communication and they can all be helpful.

            While I believe that most of these helpful hints should be considered common sense, I think we often take that sort of thing for granted. Details that may seem to be common sense to us aren’t always common sense to others. It is important that there are seemingly no gaps in something as important as common sense when dealing with our superiors and our professional colleagues. Every aspect of these suggestions is applicable and should not be discounted as just common sense.

            All of the tips listed were warranted and important. They were simple, clear and can easily be followed by anyone. I did not disagree with any of the suggestions.

            While I currently feel confident in my email communication skills there are some suggestions that I will be applying immediately.  I am very conscious of my grammar, spelling, tone, manners, professionalism and being concise. The two suggestions that I will start applying are the tips about asking before sending attachments and waiting to fill in the “To” line. I have never thought about attachments not being opened. However I have heard that emails with attachments can sometime be sent directly to the junk mail inbox. Asking the recipient if it is ok to send an attachment not only allows you the peace of mind for having asked but it can also alert the recipient to the possibility of the email being in a different inbox. The other tip that I found especially applicable to my email communication is waiting to fill out the “To” line. I have in fact accidentally sent an email before proofreading it. Fortunately the content was accurate but my spelling, grammar and tone had not been checked. Luckily I immediately followed up with the correct email and a light hearted request to disregard the first unedited copy. My colleague had no issue with the incident.

            All seven of the helpful tips can be used in email communication. This article serves as a great checkpoint for the things we are doing well and the things we can possibly be doing better.  It is important that we are always open to continually improving our communication skills no matter what the medium may be.


 

References

 

McKay, D. (2013). Tips for Writing Professional Email. Retrieved from

No comments:

Post a Comment